Everyone wants to enjoy their holidays, and what better way to do so than staying healthy throughout the holiday season. From keeping active, to eating better, and taking the necessary steps to avoid the dreaded flu or a cold this season, there are a few different steps you can take to be the best you throughout the holidays. Below are some quick tips for a healthy holiday season so you can spread that holiday cheer!
The flu makes a strong appearance close to the holidays and can wipe you out from days to weeks. It is important to take the necessary precautions to reduce our likelihood of contracting the virus. This can be done by washing our hands often, sneezing properly to reduce germs, and cleaning our homes and workspaces. Apart from these everyday precautions, a flu shot vaccination is a good idea. The flu shot will not only greatly reduce your chances of getting the flu, but help protect others around you as well. The more people who get the flu shot, the less likely the virus is to spread.
Try to Eat Healthy
Many of the holidays around this time of the year revolve heavily around family, friends, fun, and yes… FOOD! From Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Year’s we know this can be a bit difficult. Here are some helpful tips for eating healthier during the holidays.
- Holiday Party – Don’t leaving the house on an empty stomach as it will encourage overeating when you arrive to your destination. Also, if you have a few drinks you want something in your stomach to absorb the alcohol.
- Cooking – Prepare food on a full stomach so you will not be tempted to sample all the ingredients! Chewing a piece of sugar-free gum can also help reduce the urge to dig into the pre-made meal.
- Beverages – Try to limit the amount of alcoholic drinks you have. Mix drinks with diet soda or club soda when possible to avoid the extra sugars. Drink a glass of water for every drink you take to keep your body hydrated.
Because many of the holidays are centered around eating and drinking, it can be easy to forget to get up and move. Keeping active can help you feel better and ditch those extra pounds that may be coming your way after indulging.
- Go for a Walk – A walk around the block after each meal can help you get some extra steps in and burn off some of the food you ate. Sitting for long periods of time has proven to be bad for your health and a simple 5-10-minute walk can help combat that.
- Friendly Sport – Friends and family are usually around for the holidays so it’s the perfect time to arrange some friendly competition. A game of basketball, volleyball, soccer, or whatever else you like is the perfect opportunity to bond with family and friends while exercising.
We want you to be happy and healthy this holiday season. Taking these steps is a good first step in the right direction. Feel free to add in quick tips of your own and don’t be afraid to try new things to improve your health. We wish you a happy holiday season!