With the New Year right around the corner, now is as good a time as ever to start thinking about wellness initiatives and how to put them into place. Before the year ends, take the time to evaluate your corporate wellness programs, and think about ways you can get your employees up and moving and motivated for the upcoming year! So, here’s how to assess your current health programs along with a few corporate challenge fitness ideas to kick off the New Year with an engaged and productive workforce.
Assess Your Wellness Program
- Is it easily accessible? – Fitness challenges should be available to all employees, regardless of their physical abilities. Make sure your programs are designed so that everybody can get involved easily. After all, the better the engagement, the more effective the challenges will be.
- Does it promote teamwork? – Wellness initiatives and challenges are a great way to get employees communicating and collaborating. Team based challenges are a great way to get employees to participate and work together to reach a greater goal. Challenges based on friendly competition like who can get more steps in a week have also proven to be effective in encouraging employee participation.
- Is there incentive? – Let’s face it – people love prizes! Would you rather win solely bragging rights or add on a gift card that can help you further improve your wellness success? Much like on projects at work, many employees require that extra little motivation to get going. Offering prizes are a good way to spark that drive.
Corporate Fitness Ideas
After assessing your corporate fitness and health plan, consider some of these ideas that can allow for high employee engagement at a low cost:
- Physical Challenge – A walking challenge can be a great way to get everybody involved. Set a goal of 10,000 steps and encourage employees to reach this to get an incentive. After a couple of weeks when everyone is involved, you can change it up to see who can get the most steps each week!
- Nutrition Challenge – Make an effort to eat better! Shoot for a monthly healthy potluck – think of the common Thanksgiving tradition, with a twist. Challenge employees to sign up and bring in healthy foods for the potluck. This will not only encourage healthy eating on the day of the event, but get employees thinking about what foods they should bring that are truly healthy.
- Fitness Challenge – Encourage employees to participate in a local sports league like softball or kickball. This is a great team building event in a fun environment. Encourage participation by offering to pay for some or all of the league entrance fees.
- Water Challenge – Health experts recommend drinking at least 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water every day. Encourage employees to reach this goal for a month straight to help build up healthy habits!
These are just a few ideas to get you started on your wellness goals for the New Year! Keep in mind that employee’s behaviors towards wellness will not change overnight, so continue to try different challenges and get a gauge of what works best for your office. Ultimately a good challenge will be easily accessible, set a personal goal, encourage teamwork, and provide incentives.